Prohibition of talking during Salat (prayer)

 333. Mu´awiyah bin Al-Hakam As-Sulami said: While I was praying with the Messenger of Allah sallahu alayhi wa sallam a man sneezed. I said: ´´Yarhamuk Allah (May Allah have mercy on you).´´ The people stared at me with disapproving looks, so I said: ´´Woe to me, why do you stare at me?´´ They began to strike their hands on their thighs, and when I saw them urging to keep silent, I said nothing. When the Messenger of Allah sallahu alayhi wa sallam finshed praying. I ransom with my father and mother, I have never seen a better or nicer him by Allah, be neither scolded me, nor hit me, nor reviled me. Then he said: ´´ IN this prayer, none of people talk should be uttered. It is onlu for Tasbij, Takbir, and Qur´anic recitation.´´ Or me the Messenger of Allah sallahu alayhi wa sallam said words to that effect. I said: ´´O Messenger of Allah!I have just recently quit Ignorance Period, and Allah has brought Islam to us; among us are those who consult soothsayers. He said: ´´Do not consult them.´´ I said: ´´There are those who take omens.´´ He said: ´´That is something which they find in their breasts, but let it not stop them.´´ I said: ´´Among us are those who draw lines.´´ He said: ´´There was a Prophet who drew lines. So he whose lines agree with his (which in impossible) then let it be.´´

I had a bondgirl who tended my goats by the side of Uhud and Jawwaniyah. One day, I checked her and found that a wolf had killed a lamb from her folk. Since I am a man from the offspring of Adam, I become angry as they become. So I slapped her. Then I came to the Messenger of Allah sallahu alayhi wa sallam and felt (this act of mine) as something grievous. I said: ´´O Messenger of Allah, should I free her?´´ He said: ´´Bring her to me.´´ So I brought her to him. He asked her: ´´Where is Allah?´´ She said: ´´He is above the heaven.´´ He said: ´´Who am I?´´ She said: ´´You are the Messenger of Allah.´´ He said: ´´Free her, she is a believer.´´

334. Zaid bin Arqam narrated: We used to talk in Salat (prayer) and a person talked to another on his side in prayer until (this Verse) was revealed: ´´And stand before Allah in devout obedience,´´ (2:238) and we were commanded to observe silence (in prayer and were forbidden to speak)

Kommentarer